Wednesday, April 20, 2005

What's so Great about New York? Oh, they mean the Greater New York AREA!

On a mid-March Saturday afternoon, I ventured with famed fellow art lovers Hannah, Lyz, and Debbie over to Long Island City to check out the 2005 edition of PS1's Greater New York exhibition.

The show has gotten its fair share of bad press, and has had the art world types abuzz with gossip about this year's selection process. There have been numerous reports of last minute scrambling with artists chosen just weeks before opening and asked to complete and install work in exceptionally short periods of time. Other talk involves promised participants being unceremoniously dumped with little notice. Alas, I don't have any names to name, but that's the word on the street.

01

In the main space the had a mini-retrospective of Petah Coyne's work. I wasn't familiar with her stuff until recently, so I'm glad to make up for lost time! If you have a chance to check out any of her stuff, I definitely reccomend it! Unfortunately, the show has closed by now.

08

You should also be ashamed of yourselves if you missed Justin Lowe's installation "Collecting Pictures in the Brain Hotel 2005" which allowed you to crawl through a bunch of different rooms (including a turnstyle made out of mattresses) like you're revisiting childhood memories. I'd liken it to the physical recreation of the scenes from Being John Malkovich where they're chasing each other through John Malkovich's subconscious. Quite fun, actually!

Alas, I should have alerted you all to these fine shows, but I've been a bit slack with my blogging of late. Sometimes being one step ahead of the crowd doesn't allow you the time to sit back and reflect...I promise to make it up to you!

Let's get planning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home