Thursday, March 17, 2005

A Sunday at the Armory Show

armory show

The weekend of the Armory Show, generally the second week of March, acts as the kick-off to the spring Arts season in New York. Billed as the "International Fair of New Art," it's essentially a trade show for the Art world. Over 150 commercial galleries, mostly from New York, but with representation from numerous locations around the world, present work by the artists they represent in an effort to sell off the stuff they have sitting around ready to collect dust. With that in mind, you can pretty much assume that it's a pretty mixed bag. The fairly obvious fact that most of the best work by any particular artists that are on the market will probably have already been sold makes it pretty certain that you're probably not going to be taking any prom queens home this year.

This year I went with coworker friends Cindy, and Kenric, as well as Kenric's wife Kathryn.

The fair is set up is up in Piers 90 and 92 on the Hudson River, and draws a large crowd of people mostly likely better looking than your average trade show.

What seems to be popular on the market this year? Well, judging by the number of galleries presenting works by the same artist, I counted at least 4 different galleries showing works by Thomas Struth, Alex Katz, and Julian Opie, I'd say they're pretty hot these days. Large format photography was everywhere to the point of ubiquity, and taste definitely leaned towards style over substance. Honestly, who finds Alex Katz relevant anymore? Whenever I go to one of his shows, I forget it by the time I'm out the door. I suppose his fairly broad color palette means that rich art patrons will find just the right Katz to match the new rug they bought last month, but what else does he offer to artistic discourse.

One thing my going up to Montreal forced me to miss was the array of parties that galleries throw during Armory Show weekend. I certainly regret missing all that free wine that was waiting for me as I spied on the art world brethren mingling and flirting in the vain hope that tonight's one night stand will be tomorrow's art star. What, don't tell me you thought going high brow exempts these people from being the starfuckers they dream nightly of being. Next year, my friends, next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home