Phil goes to the theater!

Given that I spend my days just minutes from the Great White Way (that's Broadway people) you'd think I'd be going to the theater all the time, wouldn't you? Well, prohibitive costs, and a mild feeling of anxiety when surrounded by theater people prevents me from going regularly. We all have our quirks.
The revival of "Hurlyburly" by David Rabe, with its all-star cast, seemed like a good occasion to pay a visit to "the boards." If you haven't heard about it yet, it's basically the "hot ticket" right now, as it's sold out it's entire inital run at a small theater on 42nd Street. As you may be able to tell from the picture I've included, the cast includes Ethan Hawke, Parker Posey, Bobby Cannavale, Wallace Shawn, and Josh Hamilton.
If you've been reading the NY Times lately, you are probably thinking that this is the most quintessential, must-see experience of a lifetime along the lines of giving birth or paying a visit to the MoMA. So with that in mind, I couldn't quite buy into all the hype. It is fun to watch famous people run around a stage acting like they are on coke and various other substances, though. As for the greater meaning about, depending on your take, the "the breakdown of language as a crucial sign of civilization's incipient collapse" or "the fractured consciousnesses of people whose moods are determined by their most recent forms of self-medication", I can't say I consider this the final word.
But if you're interested in checking it out for yourself but are concerened about it being sold out, fear not! It's moving to a larger theater in April for an extended run.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home